Many brides these days are opting for two looks for their wedding day: a ceremony look and a different reception look. Some brides opt for two completely different dresses, but I always find it fun to have a transitional garment in which something is added or removed to create a completely different look. I did this for Leah’s fun wedding ensemble, as well as my own!
Lila Rose’s neon wedding ensemble also has different ceremony and reception looks! For the ceremony, she will wear a long dramatic train. After the ceremony, the train is removed to reveal a reception look with a fun bustle.
To create the train, I, again, used the muslin from our fittings as the underlining. In the photo above, you can see one of the three panels in the train prepped for cutting and underlining. Once the panels were prepared, I machine seamed them together to form the dramatic 65″ long removable train!
I used horsehair trim inside the train to add body to its edges. I chose to use 1″ horsehair on the sides of the train, and 6″ horsehair on the hem. Below you can see me carefully stitching the horsehair using a catch stitch. The horsehair is attached only to the underlining, so it will not be seen at all from the outside of the dress (or the inside once it’s lined!)
The hem is curved, but horsehair trim comes with a string in the top that can be pulled to create a curve. Here’s what it looks like from the inside!
Since the train doesn’t require fitting beyond the closures, I was able to go ahead and permanently attach the orange panels, line the entire train, and attach it to its belt even before our fitting.
Working on something as large as this is a fun challenge!
I was able to machine stitch the true hem of the lining, but I opted to sew the sides of the train’s lining by hand. Here you can see it laid out getting ready for stitching. Did you remember that the lining for the train was lime green?
First I catch stitched up the sides of the pink…
…then I matched the green lining and stitched it carefully in place by hand.
It is possible that I could have done this by machine, but with hand stitching, you can lay everything out flat and you have so much more control. It can be really hard to lug this amount of fabric to and through a machine accurately.
Once the train was hemmed and lined, I did lug it to the machine for gathering stitches. The top of the train will be gathered into a belt.
I hand basted the gathers perfectly into place on the belt before running it through the machine. Then I trimmed out as much bulk as I could before folding back the inside layer of the belt to cover for hand finishing.
The dress was finally completely ready for our fitting!
The closures on the train are interesting and will be set at the fitting. More on that in my next post!
Lila Rose is in town for fitting and finishing: up next!!!
Never miss a post! Sign up for my email newsletter.